Let’s Congratulate the Winner–Will Fields
Contest Now Closed
Contest Dates: Oct. 1-Oct. 31, 2018
Trip Date: February 28, 2019
The annual Sandhill Crane migration is one of the world’s greatest natural spectacles.
Mid-February through mid-April, more than half a million Sandhill Cranes congregate along Nebraska’s Platte River during their annual migration. They rest and prepare for nesting after leaving their winter homes in Mexico and the Southwest. Their final destinations are way north in Canada, Alaska and Siberia.
Thousands of visitors come from all over the world to greet and observe this natural wonder.
They visit the Crane Trust Nature & Visitor Center at Exit 305 off Interstate 80
near Woodriver, Nebraska.
Win Overnight (2/28/19) VIP Experience
You can be 1 of the lucky ones viewing this natural wonder.
One winner and a guest will receive
• Two guided crane viewing experiences (dawn and sunset) inside the private, heated Pietrok Family VIP Blind on the largest Sandhill Crane roost on the Platte River. Experts provide valuable insights into the science and the mystery of the crane migration and Platte River ecosystem.
• Overnight accommodations at Crane Trust Legacy Cottages (private bedroom and bathroom). There is a kitchenette with a dining table and television in the common area and a covered patio overlooking the vast historic prairie where genetically-pure American bison roam.
• Food and drink at the evening’s Welcome Reception, Dinner after the sunset viewing and Breakfast after the dawn viewing.
Enter to Win
Contest Fine Print
- The Experience is Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019. No exception. Do not enter if you cannot travel to Wood River (outside of Grand Island, NE) and spend the evening of 2.28.19.
- Transportation to and from Wood River, Nebraska is not included.
- You must be able to navigate up to ¼ mile of uneven terrain to reach the bird blind.
- All other expenses not mentioned above are winner’s responsibility.
- Prize value is $500.00.
- Winner agrees to share at least 3 photographic images with www.lindaleierthomason.com by March 5, 2019 to use at her discretion.
- Winner Notification: Winner will be chosen at random. Winner will be notified via email. Response must be received in 24 hours. If none, another winner will be randomly chosen.
- Prize is non-transferable. No cash redemption or substitution will be allowed.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older, a legal U.S. resident, All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- No purchase necessary.
- This is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google +, YouTube, Instagram or Pinterest.
- Crane Trust employees and trustees and their immediate family members are not eligible for this giveaway. Neither are immediate family members of www.lindaleierthomason.com.
- Winner assumes all responsibility and releases www.lindaleierthomason.com and The Crane Trust, its employees and trustees from all liability.
- By accepting prize, winner understands and agrees to all contest rules.
Tips to Enhance Your Sandhill Cranes Viewing Experience
- I’ve witnessed the Sandhill Crane migration twice. Once, mid-day in the fields surrounding the Nature Center. And, in 2018 I had the pleasure of staying overnight for a VIP Experience.
- My best advice is
• Dress in layers. It can be both wet and cool. Fingerless gloves are helpful if you plan to take a lot of photographs.
• Pack boots.
• Bring your camera charger and take a back-up battery.
• Have binoculars? Pack ’em. There are some in the Blind but not enough for all.
• If you’re interested in getting great photographic images, keep in mind the type of lighting you will be shooting in (dusk and dawn) and that birds do not sit and pose for you. You must remain in the bird blind with your group the entire time. Most cranes are across the river from where you will be standing.
• Plan to arrive well before the check-in time. Stop at the Nature Center. Watch the videos. View the artwork. Shop at the Gift Shop. Walk the trail behind the Center. See the buffalo up close and personal. Eat at the café inside the Center. Speak to the well-trained volunteers about where to see the Sandhill Cranes in the fields after the VIP Experience concludes.
• Do a bit of online research before arriving.
• Ask the professionals all of your questions. They are informative and eager to share their knowledge and experiences.
• If you have dietary restrictions for the VIP Experience meals, please inform the staff well before arrival.
• Get to know the other guests. All share a common interest.
The Crane Trust Nature and Visitor Center
Address: 9325 South Alda Road
Wood River, NE 68883
Exit 305 towards Alda
Phone: (308) 382-1820
Hours: Monday – Saturday
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(Hours change during migration season and holidays)
SHARE this post with others who’d appreciate this natural wonder.
This experience was provided with generosity from The Crane Trust.
©Copyright. October 2018. Linda Leier Thomason
All Rights Reserved. This means seek permission prior to using any images on this site. All are copyright protected and available for sale.
Linda Leier Thomason is a former CEO who writes freelance business and travel stories, along with feature articles. Her work experiences include a Fortune 500 corporation, federal government, entrepreneurship and small business.
She specializes in undercover studies of communities wishing to attract visitors for economic impact.
Contact her by completing this form.