Crispy Filipino Spring Rolls
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground pork (not cooked)
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped (I use 1/2.)
- 16 baby carrots finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 package egg roll wrapper, thawed, if frozen. (I use won ton skins.) Cut egg roll wrapper in half and carefully separate. Cover with moist paper towel to keep from drying out if the process takes you awhile.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon flour and a couple drops of water to make a paste to seal the skin/wrapper before frying. Mix flour and water in a separate, small container.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place wrapper on a work surface and spoon about 1 tablespoon filling onto the bottom end of the wrapper.
- Roll wrapper tight over the filling, do not leave air pockets. Near end of roll, dip your fingers into the flour and water paste and spread mixture on wrapper.
- Bring remaining wrapper up and seal your roll. (I seal horizontal ends too to avoid content coming out.)
- Heat oil on medium high.
- Gently place lumpia in oil and fry until golden brown.
- Place fried lumpia on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
Source: Ivan Hall’s Mother on the Bachelorette. Recipe originally posted on his Instagram page.