- 2 pounds fresh ground beef
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée [I replaced with 2-14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes]
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper [I used 4 total yellow & red mini sweet peppers]
- 1/4 cup chili powder (use less for milder chili)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (use more for real flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar [I omit.]
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef.
- Drain off the fat. [I cooked onions, celery and peppers for a few minutes in the pot before adding other ingredients back.]
- Put the beef and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot.
- Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- You can also cook this in a slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Top with sour cream, shredded cheese & oyster crackers.