- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp with a teaspoon, leaving 1/2-in. shells.
- Finely chop pulp in food processor.
- In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1/2 cup cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon into the zucchini shells.
- Place in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until zucchini is tender, 25-30 minutes.
Photography: Linda Leier Thomason