Make ahead! Easy Twice Baked Potatoes with Cheddar and Chives is the best side dish for holiday entertaining.
- 4 russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Brush the outside of the potatoes with olive oil to coat and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.
- Bake until fork tender.
- Allow the potatoes to cool to room temperature or until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the top of the potato and press the sides to open.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the inside of the potato being careful not to break the skin and place the potato in a bowl.
- Arrange the potato skins back on the baking sheet.
- Place the butter, sour cream, cheddar and chives in the bowl with the potato. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the potatoes together with the other ingredients until fluffy.
- Spoon the potato mixture back into the potato skins or fill a pastry bag with the filling and pipe the mixture into the shells.
- Top the potatoes with the remaining cheese and return to the oven.Turn the heat down to 375 degrees and bake the potatoes for 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.
Type of potato to use: I am a huge fan of the russet potato for making Twice Baked Potatoes because they have the best skin for creating a crusty shell perfect for filling. They also have the best flesh for fluffy potato stuffing.
Baking Time: Depending on the size of your potatoes, Twice Baked Potatoes can take anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes. The longest period of the baking time comes with the first bake of the potatoes which can range between 45 minutes to an hour.
Two ways to prep potatoes in advance
- Bake your potatoes in advance, complete the filling and stuff. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 36 hours. Bake right before serving.
- Make your Twice Baked Potato recipe in it’s entirety then cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. Reheat the Twice Baked Potatoes in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes right before serving.
Source + Credit: yummly.com/recipe