Heart-Healthy, Often Overlooked
- 1-1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved, stems and ragged outer leaves removed. I usually cut the brussels sprouts in half so they cook quicker and more evenly.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Transfer the brussels sprouts to baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning, until tender and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Place brussels sprouts back in bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, heat for several more minutes and then serve.
Serves 6 as a side dish. I often serve these and roasted cauliflower and roasted red peppers as a meal over couscous.