Easy-to-Make Shrimp & Grits
- 3 cups chicken broth (homemade is preferred)
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits (or stone-ground grits)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese (less cheese, if prefer)
• 6 slices bacon, chopped
• 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (can substitute dried)
• 6 green onions, chopped (any onion you have works fine-and fewer is fine too)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
Bring chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat; stir in grits. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Set aside, and keep warm.
Cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon from pan.
Cook shrimp in same pan over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until almost pink, (I drain most of bacon fat out of pan.) stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice and next 4 ingredients, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in bacon.
Spoon grits onto individual plates or into shallow bowls; top with shrimp mixture. Serve immediately
Serve with tossed green salad and crusty French bread, or with fresh green beans and bread. YUM!
Modified from: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheesy-shrimp-grits
Photos from my kitchen July 2018.