- 1 cup freekeh
- 2 cups water
- olive oil
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can of kernel corn, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced (I used 3 mini sweet peppers.)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, cored and diced (I used 1 jalapeno pepper seeded, cored and diced.)
- 2 shallots diced, (I used 2 green onions, diced.)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of one lime (I used 1 T. bottled lime juice.)
- Combine freekeh and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes or until water is gone and freekeh is cooked.
- (I added.) Drain freekeh and spread on large cookie sheet and cool, about 10 minutes.
- Splash some olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté corn, red bell pepper, poblano, shallots and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Stir in freekeh and black beans. Toss with salt, pepper, cilantro, lime juice and cumin.
NOTE: I had to order the freekeh online.
Photography by Linda Leier Thomason