The Thomason extended family decided to plan a 2019 family reunion.
As with most families with members living in multiple states, it can be somewhat difficult to gather often. Yet there is the desire to connect in person.
Share this Post with Others Planning Reunions.
6 factors in choosing a reunion location
- Short travel distance for matriarch, aka Granny
- Easy travel for airline commuters
- Comfortable, well-appointed, and affordable lodging
- Great dining and shopping choices
- Availability of a professional photographer for family photos
- Entertainment & Recreation
Winterset, Iowa–Chosen Reunion Location
Winterset, Iowa was chosen as the ideal location. It is great for families of all sizes. There is plenty to see and do in Madison County and businesses and attractions are well accustomed to working with and welcoming visitors and guests from all over the world.
In addition, their Chamber and Welcome Center has a fantastic website.
More information. http://www.madisoncounty.com/
Winterset is approximately
• 37 miles from Des Moines, Iowa
• 125 miles from Omaha, Nebraska
• 180 miles from Kansas City, Kansas
• 270 miles from Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Check the Chamber’s website http://www.madisoncounty.com/ for accommodations of all types and price ranges.
Our group booked all of the rooms at Heavenly Habitat Bed & Breakfast. http://www.heavenlyhabitat.net/. It was perfect in every way. We gathered often to share meals, play board games, watch NBA finals games and enjoy one another’s company.
Steve and Nancy Fauser are exceptional inn keepers. Each breakfast was better than the next. Come with a hearty appetite. Microwaves and refrigerators are available on site.
Winterset has plenty of great dining options for all budgets and appetites. Check out the Chamber website to plan your meals and make advance reservations. http://www.madisoncounty.com/dining/.
Our group dined here & would gladly return to
- Rube’s Steakhouse https://www.rubessteakhouse-waukee.com/ We drove to Waukee, Iowa-about 30 minutes away-to celebrate two special occasions at this restaurant.
- Northside Café https://www.facebook.com/NorthsideCafe
- Sports Page Grill http://thesportspagegrill.com/indexwinterset.html
- Frostee’s https://www.facebook.com/Frostees-112564812095525/
- The Bakery Unlimited https://www.facebook.com/The-Bakery-Unlimited-141339626070721/?fref=photo
- Pizza Hut. A nostalgic visit. Two family members worked for Pizza Hut while in high school. Staff here were fantastic, as was the food.
What to Do at Your Reunion
Check the Events tab to plan reunion activities. http://www.madisoncounty.com/
50th Annual Madison County Covered Bridge Festival is October 12-13, 2019.
Bridges of Madison County
Visit https://wedesignpools.com/portfolio/winterset-aquatic-center/. We did not have time to use this facility. We did drive by and families of all ages were using it.
First Friday Night Concert Series
Hiring a professional photographer to capture family photographs was important to this group. We hired http://teddiyaeger.com/. She was professional, prompt and experienced. She provided expert advice on location and attire and was a pure joy to work with.
Parks & Recreation
There is plenty of green space in Madison County, including in Winterset Iowa. Check out the multitude of recreational opportunities http://www.madisoncounty.com/recreation/
The historic square in downtown Winterset is known for great shopping http://www.madisoncounty.com/shopping/ and our group made an economic impact during our visit.
One of our favorite spots was Pine Creek, Ltd. https://www.facebook.com/Pine-Creek-Ltd-435798216503689/
Another favorite was http://www.1stavenuecollective.com/. It’s an artisan market in the former Madison County jail.
I posted a feature on Madison County in the Fall of 2018. Check out the attractions information on it, including mention of wineries. http://www.lindaleierthomason.com/2018/09/11/9-reasons-madison-county-iowa-is-worth-visiting/
Start planning your reunion today. SHARE this post with others attending.
This post was not sponsored.
©Copyright. June 2019. Linda Leier Thomason
All Rights Reserved. This means seek permission prior to using any images or copy on this site. All are copyright protected. Images are available for sale.
Linda Leier Thomason writes freelance business and travel stories, along with feature articles. Her work experiences include a Fortune 500 corporation, federal government, entrepreneurship and small business.
Read more about her background and qualifications by clicking on the “Meet Linda” tab above.
Would you like Linda to write a feature story on your community? Nominate it here.